It’s July and here down in South Texas where I live temperatures have hit over 100 marks quite frequently down here. So if you are a fashion conscious person it is often a challenge to beat the heat and still look chic. Here is my guide to looking your best your summer.
|Dress by modcloth|
1. Light Colors Are Your FriendPut away your dark colors clothing and start wearing light colors. In my humble opinion, black is definitely a no-no, since black absorbs light and heat. I know some fashion influencers would, of course, disagree with me. However, I believe this is a diffident rule to live by if you live in a place with a hotter climate. Instead, I urge you to try lighter colors such as cute pastels and bold bright colors such as yellows, orange, kelly green, and pink.
|Shirt by Venus|
2. Embrace Lighter FabricsI love leather and velvet especially in the winter time, but once again it’s time to put away clothes made of heavy fabrics and embrace light fabrics. Breathable is the name of the game folks! Breathable fabrics allow air to pass through the fabrics easily, which helps to cool you down. Go for pieces that are made of linen, cotton, seersucker, jersey, rayon, and silk. And don’t be afraid of blended fabrics such as a jersey-poly knit, It’s the best of both worlds. For example, Jersey is a breathable fabric, but with the added polyester makes it harder to wrinkle. Which is a must when you are traveling a lot this summer.
|Shoes from FSJ shoes|
3. Love Open Toe ShoesSummer is the perfect time for open toe shoes; from sandals to peep toe to open toe boots this is diffidently the time to show those toes! The thing with open toe shoes there is just so much to choose from. You don’t even have to do a high heel sandal, a cute flat sandal can be just as stylish. And if you choose the right shoe, you can easily let them double duty for both work and for a night out on the town.
|Shirt by Uniquely Vintage|
4. Patterns, Patterns, Patterns!I am admittedly a pattern junky. There has never been a pattern that I didn’t love. So if you feel the same, this is diffidently the time to show your pattern love. Mix and match, big or small, there is no end to the variety of patterns you can choose! This season adorable retro patterns are totally in. It’s all about the pineapples, flamingos, lemons, and gingham.
|Romper by Rainbow|
Down here in the South, we do love our shorts and capris. In my neck of the woods, we tend to wear them all year long. This is the perfect time to pull out those mini skirts, shorts, and capris that have been languishing in the back of your closet.
5. Rock Those Shorts, Skirts, and Capris!
And contrary to popular belief, a good pair of shorts can be dressed up or dressed down with the right top and accessories. My favorite look has been board shorts dressed up with a light color tank, blazer, and a hot pair of high heeled sandals. Another great trend this season is the reemergence of the rompers for both women and men.
These are my five ways to stay cool and fashionable this summer. What are your favorite ways to stay stylish this summer? If you like what you read please check out my blog ‘Dress Them Up’ and be sure to hit me up on my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest accounts.